About Red Willow Ministries
THE OLDEST CONTINUOUSLY OPERATING
LUTHERAN BIBLE CAMP
Red Willow Ministries was founded and has operated Red Willow Bible Camp since 1926, making it one of the oldest continuously operated Lutheran Bible camps serving youth in the United States. Since the building of the Ofstedal Retreat Center in 1967, Red Willow Ministries has been able to offer a variety of retreats for different organizations, groups, and individuals of all ages to enjoy what is now 580 acres of the beautiful surroundings of Red Willow Lake.
The camp facilities include the retreat center with 12 guest rooms and a dining hall, 4 boys cabins and a boy bathhouse, 7 girls cabins and a girls bathhouse, the historic chapel built in 1949, a hospitality house for guests, and a camp house for staff.
Activities at Red Willow Ministries include a lakefront for fishing or kayaking/canoeing, hiking trails, biking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, camping out areas with firepits, a disc golf course, a low ropes course, miniature golf, gaga ball pit, a pavilion for picnics and plenty of space for outdoor games and sports.
Camp should be a place for rest, retreat, and renewal.
Hospitality and program are important components of the camp business, but self-care and our relationship with God are even more important.
To show that we, as a camp, are a theological venture, so that our visitors, guests, and clientele can experience hope.
To give God credit in the 21st century - what is he up to today?
Luther League girls from Edmore camped on the shore of Devil’s Lake under the leadership of Pastor R.A. Ofstedal.
Fourteen boys from Edmore camped at Devils Lake for four days with Pastor Ofstedal conducting a study on the Lords Prayer.
The first camp was held at Red Willow Lake. There were 35 young people in attendance.
Pastor M.B. Ordahl was instrumental in securing first tract of 20 acres of lake front property for a camp. Pastor Ordahl referred to the site as “Outlook Point”, where young people’s outlooks on life could be changed. Tents were the only facilities.
The camp chapel was constructed from lumber.
The first camp director was hired.
The Ofstedal Retreat Center was constructed.